A generic term for a membrane layer that resists the passage of liquid water (and possibly air and vapor) through vertical, drained surfaces. Asphalt-impregnated building papers and felts and polymeric housewraps are the most common products available, but peel and stick air-water-vapor barrier membranes, trowel applied air and water barriers, etc. are currently available.